My friend Pamela Higgins is a health coach and writes a column for the Examiner. She’s had some great tips recently that I wanted to share. Enjoy and feel free to reach out to her directly at http://www.totalhealthcounseling.com.
Top 10 Tips to a Healthier You
Do you want to eat healthier but think it’s too complicated or means only eating salads? There are so many simple steps you can take to enhance your health. It starts by taking action today and jumping in for the challenge! You are worth it and wouldn’t it be wonderful to feel great and look fabulous, and have a healthy?
- Add creamy avocado slices to your burgers and sandwiches instead of mayo or fancy aioli (i.e. mayo) spreads.
- Skip the deep-fried french fries and order baked sweet potato instead or grilled veggies.
- Start the day with a big glass of water and squeeze a whole lemon or lime in the glass, this will hydrate and alkalize your body instantly! You’ll hydrate and get a boost of energy first thing in the morning!
Read on for tips 4 – 10 here: http://www.examiner.com/list/top-10-tips-to-a-healthier-you.
Classic Tasting Chocolate Chip Cookies
Who doesn’t love a good homemade chocolate chip cookie? I <3 cookies but my body is so sensitive that I can’t eat the classic version made with butter and white flour. Good thing there are other ingredients that can make a cookie that’s just as divine without the belly ache. These have a good amount of protein from the chickpeas, I imagine you can use any bean you have on hand. Pinto beans would make a pretty pink shaded cookie. This makes a small batch. This is my version of Donielle’s Gluten Free, Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Find the recipe here: http://www.totalhealthcounseling.com/2013/classic-tasting-chocolate-chip-cookies/
It’s Mother’s Day this weekend and because there are sooo many moms out there that are now running (casually and competitively alike) I figured it was a great opportunity to recommend some fantastic gifts for the active and/or running mom in your life. Here’s the list, which ranges in price, as well as activity level and interests.
- Fruit or vegetable delivery from a national chain and/or local stand. I’ve seen a few of these offers on Groupon lately as well as advertised via email. This is a great option for the healthy mom in your life. Add some color and unique vegies/fruits with this convenient and thoughtful gift. Options include: Harry & David’s Organic Fruit of the Month Club or here in Florida Annie’s Organic Produce Buying Club of South Florida. Prices depend on option you choose.
- The Nike+ Fuel Band is brand new and a pretty interesting concept. The device is worn snug on your wrist and tracks your activity for the day…turning it into “Nike Fuel.” You start off with a goal of how much movement you want and the lights turn red, then yellow, then green as you near that point of desired exercise. It’s $149 but if even if it just serves as a reminder to start working out and moving, it’s worth it!
- AdvoCare Products: Is the running mom in your life looking to tone up and lost weight? Get her on the AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge program – and better yet, do it with her! It’s amazing what someone can accomplish in just 24 days. Help motivate the mom in your life by getting her started on a quality lifestyle, diet program. The 24 day program (complete with recommended add-ons) can cost around $250.
- The ultimate gym bag! The Gaiam Everything Fits in the Bag is eco-chic and can keep anyone organized. Just $60, this is an easy gift for the active mom in your life!
- Who doesn’t love leggings?! They are comfortable yet cool; light yet covering; and useful for whatever activity or non-activity someone is doing! For under $30, these Yoga Foldover Leggings can be yours!
- EA Sports Active for Wii! So much fun yet hard and great for working out in the home and burning calories! It’s under $33, but remember, you still need the Wii!
- A 60-minute massage! Yes, how could I forget. Dr. David Rudnick of the Chiropractic & Sports Rehab Institute in Boynton Beach offer regular massages as well as Raindrop Massage! I’ve had the latter and it is truly amazing! Learn more here.
- And no running mom gift list would be complete without the jogging stroller! So here is just one option. Of course, do you research as there are many out there and it’s important to find the right one so you actually use it!
Happy Mother’s Day and Happy Running!